Saturday, September 13, 2008
Communist Monstrosity
Our Berlin photo album now has some pictures I took along Karl-Marx Allee. The street (and sidewalks) is about 450 feet wide and has some of the best examples of the Socialist Realist school of architecture. During the Cold War, the boulevard was used for massive Soviet military parades. Take a look, it's very depressing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
only depressing if you are a running dog capitalist oppressor. The proletariat love to dwell in hamster cages
lol.
I also found it extremely depressing at first. All that vast space and bleakness. But the buildings themselves are not monstrosities actually. I once lived at Frankfurter Tor (on the U5 line) in one of those big towers. After a while, you start thinking that it has a beauty of its own. Also, there are all those cool streets nearby - Simon-Dachstrasse, Boxhagener, etc., with tons of people of night, so it's not bleak there.
Post a Comment